Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com

The Introverted Extrovert

Inside the mind of a psychotic weirdo -- Enzo

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Late... Ramblings.. I haven't done this in a while...

I was supposed to update this yesterday, but I was sort of swamped with work. Hokkien scripts (yes, more than one), History reflection paper and research on two topics. Fun ain't it? And I wasn't able to finish them all.

At any rate, yesterday was a sort of thought provoking and guilty feeling sort of day. In Theo, we were discussing unjust social structures and the like. Well, sin was the topic, and at that point we were discussing social sin. Sir was talking about corrupt priests and lay ministers, who were taking money from donations and using their status to not pay taxes (or get a big tax exemption). He also mentioned that our tax money really doesn't go to the right places. And Marv also mentioned that only about 30% of the population pay taxes (the rest are under the poverty line). There was also a discussion of why poor people stay poor. And why a PRO-poor nation would stay that poor (namely the Philippines). And sir also mentioned about the national budget, how most of it is spent paying for the interest of the national debt. You know what? The Philippines need a whole lot of change to become any better. No wonder so many people want to migrate abroad. At the present the Philippines is, in my opinion, crumbling. Just barely clinging on for dear life. Some people may not think so, but that is so true. Where do you think the problem is rooted? The structure? Well I think the structure is flawed, but not completely. I think the main problem lies in the people. All of us. Everywhere you look there's a corrupt politician, a policeman looking for bribes, or even a government vehicle counterflowing. What is everyone's problem? Even just cheating as students... If only we could set our priotities straight! If only all of the people would work for a better nation. Forget for a while themselves. People could live simply and sufficiently without having loads of money. But with all these things permeating every aspect of our life, how do we expect to change without any action on our own part? Change comes slowly. One person could do a lot, even if it doesn't feel like it. One person could influence one or two other people, and that would be a start. But these other people may not have the same passion as the first, and they may falter and fail. But if they do succeed, and those after them do, then that would be a great achievement. I thought that someone should make a group of these people. Training people to be honest and hardworking. Raising them up to be model citizens, without any skeletons in the closet. People working together to change, not the world, but the people in it. One by one, people would realize the good. And, after many, many years, the Philippines would be able to really stand on its own. The national debt and many other problems long past, not forgotten, but kept in history as a reminder. A reminder to be honest, true and hardworking. But it still remains a thought. I don't know if this will ever happen, in this way, or another, but I hope and pray to God that everyone in the Philippines would wake up and do something together. Maybe that's what we really need: A truly united nation. We have to work together to bring our nation from ruin to glory.

It's really sad. As much as it seems like a good idea to migrate, I won't. I'll just do my best to raise children that would continue this thought of mine. Not surprisingly, after theo class, all this was set aside from my mind. I actually didn't think I'd remember well enough to write much today, but I did. Maybe that's telling me something... anyway, my day didn't end there. Englicom people came to school for the first part of the swap. I couldn't help feeling proud because this was my project years back, the first time I was a Celadon manager. It was also the first year that the Student Exchange (I called it swap a couple of lines back) happened. It hasn't change much over the years, but it's getting better. I really wanted them to sit-in in classes when I was a co-head (with Ollie), but I was short on time. This year they tried, and they already had 2 classes, but I think it was forgotten. At any rate, there were games, a tour and the culminating activity. I wasn't able to eat donuts during the culminating activity, oh well. Anyway, I wasn't able to attend all of it. I came late because I was supposed to talk with a Chem teacher, and I left to look for Tin, but I ended up talking with Cess and Chelle about love, relationships and people (well more of person, but it could be generalized).

I realized a couple of things during our talk. I realized that people are not perfect. And you could be a friend to a real jerk. I realized how mean I was for closing myself from people that I thought were like that. Well, I was always the peacekeeper, the one who would tolerate people like that, but I would still complain to my other friends. Basically I was plastic to a lot of people. I plan to change that and try to be more of a friend. I've already realized that I've lost a lot of sensitivity, and this, I think, was one of the reasons, and maybe even an effect. I also realized that there are a lot of things that I can, but don't do. Work hard is one of those things, but not what I dwelt over the most. The time I'm giving to Kat is not enough. I love her so much, but why don't I do more? Her birthday is coming up and I can't even think of a thing to do! This has happened so many times already... A friend of mine mentioned that this guy, the girls ex-boyfriend, would be playing basketball instead of spending more time with her. To think they barely got to see each other. That friend also told of her friends' boyfriends that would come to see them at every chance they got. Right after school, inbetween breaks, even if they lived or studied far away. I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to them, but I can't help but think that I should be doing more.

Life's really confusing isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home